January 8th, 2021
Dear Jean Steckle families,
I would like to wish our families a happy new year. Even though the start of 2021 has been different, our students, families, and educators have done a tremendous job transitioning to the Learn from Home program. I am proud to see our students navigating the Google Classroom and Google Meets. Thank you to our families for their excellent tech support and encouragement. A huge shout out to educators for transitioning to the Google Classroom. Great work STING!
Yesterday, Dr. David Williams, Ontario’s Chief Medical Officer of Health announced that school closures and distance learning will continue for elementary schools through Friday, January 22 to help limit the spread of COVID-19. All elementary and secondary students are now scheduled to return to in-person learning on Monday, January 25.
We can confirm the following:
- Students will continue to learn remotely
- Students, who are enrolled in the in-person mode of learning are scheduled to return to in-person learning on January 25
- Educators will continue to engage with students and families both synchronously and asynchronously during the closure
- This closure includes all before and after school programs (Extended Day Programs)
- Families registered in childcare centres located in WRDSB schools should contact their provider directly for information on program operation
We know our students, families and staff continue to have questions; we are working with our education partners and will update you as we learn more. Our students miss their schools, classrooms, friends and the staff that help them learn each day – we miss them too.
We will continue to provide updates as information from the Ministry of Education becomes available. For information and updates, please refer to these resources:
- Subscribe to our website at www.wrdsb.ca to receive updates
Andrea Michelutti, Proud Principal of Jean Steckle Public School
Changing Modes of Learning
Families of elementary students who wish to change their child’s mode of learning (in-person to distance learning or from distance learning to in-person), will have the opportunity to do so from Monday, January 4 to Friday, January 15, 2021.
To request a change in your child’s mode of learning, please email firstname.lastname@example.org for a transition request form. These forms will be sent out in January.
Please note that this change will be for the remainder of the school year.
When will elementary students transition between learning modes?
- Students transitioning into in-person learning will start on Thursday, February 18, 2021
- Students transitioning into distance learning will start on Monday, February 22, 2021
In the meantime, we encourage our families to have their child continue to attend their in-person or distance learning program.
It’s almost time to apply for Grade 1 French Immersion!
French language programs at the WRDSB begin in Grade 1. To find out more about the French program pathways and learning opportunities for students, visit our website: www.wrdsb.ca/french/french-programs/ and watch our presentation.
You can apply online for the French Immersion program at www.wrdsb.ca/french. Applications for the program are accepted from January 6, 2021, to January 31, 2020 (Phase 1).
January 22: Professional Development Day
February 15: Family Day
March 15 to March 19, 2021: March Break
April 2: Good Friday
April 5: Easter Monday
May 24: Victoria Day
June 4: Professional Development Day
June 29: Professional Development Day